Thanks for visiting my painting blog. I paint because it enriches my life. I hope my paintings will touch you in some way.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

"Kandinsky And Thiebaud Arrange Breakfast At McHappy's" takes Best in Show Award!

"Kandinsky And Thiebaud Arrange Breakfast At McHappy's" 36" X 48" Oil on Canvas

I have always thought that food, in all its many forms, is beautiful.  Whether it's an ornate wedding cake or a ripe apple, the diverse shapes, colors and textures of food excite my artistic interest and nourish my creative soul.

In painting this work, I salute the ordinary donut (which I find irresistible) and pay homage to two artists whose work I admire.

The grid composition is borrowed from Wassily Kandinsky's "Farbstudie," a print of which hangs in my studio.  The donuts brought to my mind Wayne Thiebaud's beautiful paintings of pastries.  I began to imagine these two artists meeting for breakfast at my local McHappy's; what might have resulted at their table?

I have never had more fun completing a painting - it was pure McHappyness!

This piece is on display at the Parkersburg, WV Art Center where it was awarded Best In Show in the Regional Exhibition.  The theme for this year's show is "YUM!"  I think I hit the nail on the head.  Stop in and see the show between now and July 31, 2015.